Love Your Children Right Now - Urgently, Intently and Purposely

Love Your Children Right Now - Urgently, Intently and Purposely
I am a huge James Bond. When I say huge, I mean gargantuan. I'm the guy who doesn't wait for the cable networks to run a marathon, I run my own marathon. I purchased all the movies when they were first released on videotape. My family purchased all the movies for me when they were released on DVD which I no doubt am convinced that they occasionally regret.

Admittedly, my fanaticism for 007 goes well beyond movie ownership. I'm the guy who has watched the movies so many times that I quote the lines before the actors themselves which generally infuriates anyone watching with me; another reason why my marathons are usually viewed by me and me alone. I'm the guy who once tried to drink martini's shaken and not stirred just to emulate 007. I said tried but I just can't acquire a taste for James' drink of choice. I am the guy who works each day with the dream in the back of his mind that I will someday get to travel to all the exotic locations that James has visited and of course drive an Aston Martin.

We Have All the Tine in the World

Well the other evening, as I was flipping through channels and realized that there was nothing interesting on TV, I thought now was as good a time as any to have a mini James Bond marathon. I began the night watching one of my favorite Bond movies, On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

For other Bond Fanatics, I know this movie features an unusual James Bond. George Lazenby plays an emotional and eventually married James Bond. Many of the 007 Nation hate this depiction but this post is not meant to argue the authenticity of Mr. Lazenby's portrayal of Bond. Rather, this post is about the final scene of the movie and the movies theme song, We Have All the Time in the World, performed by the great Louis Armstrong.

In the final scene, it turns out that James and his new bride, Tracy - contrary to the movie's theme song - did not have all the time in the world. All James and Tracy would have would be a wedding and a reception. Before James and Tracy could drive off into the sunset and enjoy their honeymoon, Tracy was gunned down during a drive by shooting. While I have seen this movie and this scene far too many times to mention, I found myself a bit more choked up than normal. I think that I was choked up a bit more this time because I contemplated what would fathers, parents do differently if we knew as the actress who played James' wife, Tracy (Dianna Rigg) that our role as fathers, as parents would not be extended for another scene. Even if you are not a father or parent, I wonder what you would do differently if you knew you would not be a part of the next scene of the movie you were starring in; the movie called your life.

Tomorrow Is Not Promised

I am convinced that in a nation that prides itself on and extols for any and all who will listen its "religious" beliefs, we do not completely grasp or to be blunt - have a clue about how to live out the meaning of the most obvious scripture. For example Matthew 6:34 states "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Instead of applying this scripture to our lives, living in the moment, living for the day that we have, living each day to its fullest potential, most of us live our lives as the theme song of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Most of us live and even love as if we have all the time in the world. Too many of us spend so much time worrying about what might happen tomorrow that we completely miss out on today.

The Numbers 2; 107; 6,420; 154,080; and 56,000,000

According to The World Factbook, approximately 2 people die every second. This means that 107 citizens of the world die each and every minute of each and every hour. Think about that number for a second. One hundred and seven is the size of a marching band. Six-thousand, four hundred and twenty people die each hour. That means in the time that it took me to write this post 6,420 people are no longer with us. Six-thousand, four-hundred and twenty is a number larger than the students who attend many colleges and universities. One hundred, fifty-four thousand and eighty is the number of people who die each day and is a number which is greater than the population of many U.S. cities. To put 154,080 people in perspective envision the number of people watching an NFL game at three different stadiums disappearing from the face of the earth all at one time. Fifty-six million is the number of people who die each year. Yes, fifty six million people which is approximately twenty percent of the entire U.S. population die each year.

To put these staggering numbers in perspective, picture one hundred and seven parents who found something more important to do than live a life that included loving their children with urgency, intent and purpose. Imagine six-thousand, four-hundred and twenty parents who consistently promised to leave work on time so that they could spend time with their children and family but time and again found themselves working and leaving the office late. Imagine one hundred, fifty-four thousand and eighty parents who rarely if ever sat down to share a home cooked meal with their children and who routinely left their children alone to find something to eat like fast food and prepackaged goods. Imagine fifty-six million parents who are so busy being busy that they miss parent teacher conferences, their children's extracurricular activities and so many other things.

Live and Love Now

Unfortunately for so many children and parents the aforementioned scenarios are neither imaginary or make believe. Far too many of us, live our lives consumed with concerns for tomorrow and driven by the belief that as Louis Armstrong sung - we have all the time in the world. As the final scene of On Her Majesty's Secret Service plays out, a police officer drives over to James and Tracy's car to see if he can be of assistance but Tracy who has been shot is already dead. James lovingly embraces Tracy and somberly utters the regrettable untruth "we have all the time in the world."

Fathers and mothers alike, I implore you to learn from Bond... James Bond. You don't have all the time in the world. Forget tomorrow! You only have the present to show your children how much you love them and how just important they are to you.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nathaniel_A_Turner
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com